Wednesday 16 May 2012

"Inception": best wake up call of 2012



“If we could just stay awake, perhaps we might see our way to living our dreams”

“Aren’t you worried”, my grandmother once asked me, “that with all the films you watch you’re going to lose your grip on reality?”  The comment incensed me though with hindsight, I’m prepared to concede that she may have had a point.  Indeed, her remark held special significance in light of the film I watched on Sunday afternoon.

Inception is the ludicrously successful sci-fi film which tells the story of a team of con men who infiltrate the world of dreams to influence outcomes in the real world.  I’d resisted watching the film because it seemed so ridiculously over-hyped.  On Sunday however, I gave in and, after viewing it once, took the dogs for a walk and then watched it again.  It was that good.  But you probably know that already.

Not since The Matrix and Fight Club have I been so preoccupied with a movie – I daresay I could write several posts about it (and may yet).  I left for work on Monday utterly stupefied by Inception’s brilliance, troubled by its subtle warnings and even mildly paranoid with the prospect that I might not have as firm a grip on reality as I’d once thought.

Though I may exist in the “real” world, do my dreams and (as the Apostle Paul calls them) “vain imaginations” inveigle me into a world that is somehow alien and at times even at odds with the world I am called to live in?  As T.E. Lawrence wrote in the 7 Pillars of Wisdom:

“All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity…”

One of the film’s haunting sub-plots deals with the failure of the hero’s wife to adjust to reality after a blissful 5 decades of “building” a dream world with her husband.  And what a world it is!  We get glimpses of it in the movie’s final throes as we are literally washed up on the shores of Cobb and Mal’s subconscious – and then carried away on a sweeping bypass of a vast and impossibly magnificent cliff-side city.  As the camera turns inland, we behold a skyline quite unlike any other we have ever known or even dreamt of.  This cityscape – though thoroughly gossamer and without foundation, is Mal’s reality.  It is here she must return to – even if it means jumping from her hotel window to achieve the “kick” that will jolt her back to that place.

Yet this world and all its beauty are caught in the relentless undertow of decay.  The great canyons that separate the fantastical skyscrapers are a moldering ruin of cracks, debris and floodwater.  In one dramatic sequence, we see the palisade condominiums peeling off in vast chunks into the swirling ocean below.  “For this world in its present form is passing away,” warns the Apostle Paul to the Corinthians.

In the “Great Divorce”, C.S. Lewis ambitiously tackles the challenge of describing the landscape of heaven.  Thought by many to contain his best use of fable and allegory, the book invites us into a spectacular world whose very foundation is Absolute Truth.  Here, at least to the unsanctified visitor, even a tiny blade of grass is as hard and sharp as a shard of high tensile steel.  In this uncompromising world, even the raindrops of a brief summer downpour have the shredding power of a million machine gun bullets.  The message is simple: reality and Truth are as hard as nails.  They are Unyielding, uncompromising and oftentimes stoically inconvenient.

While I believe that having dreams is an essential part of living out my purpose, is there perhaps a fine line which, when crossed, gives way to indulgent and aimless fantasy?  When I have crossed this line, am I still able to face reality and its frigid insistence on the facts?  Lawrence of Arabia appears to have felt strongly about this.  Having dealt with what he called “the dreamers of the night”, he turned his attention to the “dangerous men” of reality:

“… but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”

What checks and balances to do you use to keep your grip on reality?


No comments:

Post a Comment